Holiday Packing For Baby
The essentials you may have missed
The time has finally come for you to venture on your very first family holiday. Before parenthood, packing for your holiday would always require a bit of planning, but add a baby into the mix, there’s now even more to think about. While the build up to exploring another country with your baby is exciting, it is a tricky task ensuring you have packed everything you need for your baby.
If you’re at the stage of thinking about all the things you need to take with you on your first family holiday, we have compiled a list of holiday baby essentials that you may have missed…
FOR YOUR JOURNEY
Depending on the flight time, there will be a few different things you will need while travelling. Here are a few essentials to consider:
- Car seat (unless you're hiring at destination)
- Car window shade
- Pushchair shade
- Travel cot (if required)
- Change of clothes in hand luggage for you & baby
- Baby Carrier (see below)
You’ll know just how many clothes baby gets through in a day so the more clothes to wear the better. Items you may have missed:
- Shawl or scarf
- Non slip shoes
- Warm clothes too, the weather can change at any time!
Aside from wash bags, medicine bags, beach bags, here are two others that will be handy:
- Airport Trunki (good for storing some clothes a travel pillow & if baby is old enough can sit on it during airport queues.)
- Cool bag / picnic bag
Pack your toiletries for you and baby as you normally would but here are three toiletries that will prove super handy that you may have forgotten about:
- Talcum powder (great for getting sand off)
- Universal travel bath plug (for turning basins into baby baths)
- Hand sanitiser
- Ready-made formula
- Formula powder/breast pump
- Lots of snacks, and food pouches
- Sterilising equipment
- Lolly/sweet for plane take off/landing pressure (for toddlers)
ENTERTAINMENT FOR TODDLERS
- Low noise toys such as play dough, crayons or small figures
- Teether toys like the Jellystone Stacker or Colour Wheel
- Tablet/phone for baby TV
So you may now have everything you need for your holiday, but what about getting around with your baby? Baby wearing abroad is hugely popular amongst parents and might just be the final thing you need for your first family holiday, here are the benefits:
Getting through the airport with baby
Airports are busy and can be overwhelming for not just adults but for babies too. You will have lots to think about while you’re there and by carrying your baby, you’ll be hands free and your little one will be right in front of you.
Boarding a plane
Sometimes there can be queues, more waiting around and even delays (hopefully not) and with so much to carry, a sling would be very handy. Once you board your plane you can then make your way to your seat with your baby securely attached to you.
Special bonding time
Carrying your baby will be a great way to enhance that special quality family time while you’re on holiday. You will even be able to capture that perfect selfie to remember all those memories while wearing your baby!
Your holiday doesn’t really start until you’re out of the airport at your destination. There is a lot to do at the airport still so being hands free will be a great bonus. Babies pick up on their surroundings so as it will all be new and unfamiliar, your little one will love being close to you, with your familiar touch and smell.
Your adventure starts now…
Whether you’re on a beach holiday with everything in close proximity, a city break, or somewhere out in the countryside, carrying your baby will give you the freedom, comfort and ease to do as much exploring, chilling, and anything in between as you want!
EXTRA HANDY ESSENTIALS TO CONSIDER
- Armbands, toys for the pool, pool floats
- Pop up tent if worried about too much sun
- Nightlight for late night nappy changes or milk runs
- Blackout blind for the room baby’s sleeping in
- Calpol sachets
- Sting relief
With thanks to Amelia, Mum to Me